Friday, April 19, 2013

May The Best Man Win






Synopsis



They say a good man is hard to find. Kardell Spencer and Lewis Turner know this all too well. Neither is lucky in love.
Kardell Spencer is a hard-working, successful advertising company owner who has a no nonsense approach to work and professionalism.   
Lewis Turner is Kardell’s flamboyant, over-the-top employee. They are polar opposites. Lewis speaks how he feels. Sometimes the things he says are so shocking that they leave people around him gasping for air.
Mateo Lopez is a rich, handsome restaurateur and a new client for Kardell Spencer’s company. When he takes a liking to Kardell, Kardell plays hard to get. Never one to miss an opportunity, Lewis quickly moves in and makes a play for Mateo’s attention.
It all comes to a head when Kardell and Lewis each find out about the other’s intent for Mateo. Mateo takes control of the situation and proposes a contest to see who will be the best man for him. But Mateo has an ulterior motive that puts both men’s lives in jeopardy.  In May the Best Man Win, two men may find out that winning is not always winning.  




Prologue
“What the hell is going on here?” I walked up to the table where my man and my new enemy sat across from each other talking one hand covering the others hands. It was a sign of affection to them but a sign of betrayal to me. There was a few people staring at me and the scene going on, but I didn’t care at the moment. I had completely forgotten my reputation as an upstanding, law abiding citizen and my senses. I was seeing red. I wanted to flip the table over in a tirade. My man looked at me calmly and the ‘enemy’ had an evil smirk on his face. I wanted to smash his head into the glass window and watch the blood run down the side of his face and then do it again. This was my man he had his hand on. He had is filthy, hoeish hands on my man.
“Good evening, Kardell. How are you?” No this bitch didn’t just ask me how I am doing while he is sitting across from my man. I didn’t answer him at first because I wanted to retain my dignity and some of my reputation as an upstanding citizen but as they say, shit was about to get real.
“Have you lost your fucking mind?” I couldn’t believe I was speaking in such language in front of my man, but I was seething hot and didn’t care at the moment.
“My mind is great right now. It couldn’t be better. I’m out with my man and we are have an almost quiet brunch together before you showed up and showed us your ghetto side.” He looked at me and then at my man and then smiled slyly, like he was winning.    
“Your man?” I asked, looking at my man waiting for him to answer.
 “Did I stutter? You have a degree or two and you mean to tell me that you haven’t grasped all of the English language?” Lewis said sarcastically.  “How could he be your man if you didn’t want him?”
“You’re in my business and I’m about to be in yours.” I threatened.
  “Like I said, my man and I are enjoying ourselves and we don’t want the interruptions so we would appreciate it if you found you a man, if you can, and leave us two lovers alone.”
“Are you forgetting the fact that you work for me and not the opposite?” I stated matter-of-factly. 
“Is that a threat?…Are you threatening me?” He turned towards me in his seat as if he was about get up. I took a step back just in case he was about to swing or something. I can say I wasn’t planning on this shit to happen today. I guess there was something that could change my mood today. I never thought in a million years  that it would be this.
“It is what it is,” I replied.
“Excuse me is everything okay over here?” A male and female member of the museums security walked up to us. The male asked the question.
“No everything is fine…Just a little miscommunication.” Mateo finally decided to talk by answering the officers. “Kardell have a seat so we can discuss this rationally.” His smile and calming voice was all I needed to hear so I hesitantly pulled out a chair and sat down at the table. I was breathing hard and looking at Lewis’ ass was not making it any better.
“Okay, any more profanity or arguing and we will have to ask you to leave the grounds. This is a family friendly environment and we like to keep it that way. Have a great day at the Walter’s Art Gallery fellas.” They walked off and left us to hash out the mess that we were in.

“Gentleman this is entirely my fault. I wasn’t being honest with either of you. I like both of you and couldn’t decide on which one of you to see exclusively. You two are very good looking guys and it is hard to decide when two guys meet my standards. I like you both.”  He looked at both of us, one to the other, intensely.
 I was shocked at what I was hearing. Here I am thinking I am the only one and he is dating Lewis and me. I wanted to get up and walk out and leave them both here looking stupid, but that would only make Lewis the winner and I wasn’t going out like that. I found him first. The truth is I probably fucked myself by seeming uninterested in Mateo when I first met him and denying that attraction to Lewis. His fast ass swooped right in and made his move. I had to give it to him he was a go getter. I guess he was looking for love too. It just happened to be the same guy I was interested in.
“Mateo, it okay,” I spoke up first. “It can happen to anyone.”
“Yes, I forgive you.” Lewis stated, and then reached his hand across the table and placed it on Mateo’s hand that was resting on the table. I reached over knocked it off and placed my hand on his. I know it was petty and downright childish, but I wasn’t giving up that easily. Pretty soon were pushing each other’s hand off of Mateo’s before he finally pulled his hand back.
“No need to fight fellas, I have a great way to solve this dilemma.” He looked at both of us and smiled. “Since I can’t possibly choose between the both of you I propose a contest of sorts to see who the best man for me is. I love games and why shouldn’t life be interesting.”
“A Game?” I spoke hesitantly. 
“Yes, I know it is totally unconventional, but I think it would be fun to have a little friendly contest. Think of it as American Idol for dating.” He laughed lightly. 
“I’m game if he’s game,” Lewis looked at me sharply. I eyed him back in the same manner.
“But you can’t take it out on each other at work.”  We both nodded our heads yes even though I knew that it was going to be hard to keep this from spilling over into the work atmosphere.
 “Great. It will take me a few days to think about what I want to do, but expect a text with the first challenge.” He said getting up from the table. “I’m looking forward to this. Have a great day gentleman.”
We both watched him walk off and then we looked at each other in silence for a few seconds.
“May the best man win.” I stuck my hand out to shake Lewis’ hand. He hesitantly did the same before he said the same, “May the best man win.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment